Join our Referee Program!
The New Prague Soccer Club continues to grow in numbers. With more teams playing in New Prague each year, we have an ever growing need for more referees. Please consider becoming a certified USSF Soccer Official! Both adult and youth referees are needed.
Benefits of becoming an Official
- Earn money in a sport you enjoy (it’s a great paying 1st job)
- Improve confidence, leadership & teamwork skills
- Become more knowledgeable on the Laws of the Game
- Obtain a greater appreciation for the game
- Give back to the game and the community (Adult referees are always in demand)
Who Can Officiate?
Anyone can certify to become a referee. However, you must be older than the age level you are refereeing to center a game. No experience is necessary, however, referees are required to complete annual training and pass the USSF Referee test. Referees are independent contractors of the club.
Opportunities Available with the New Prague Soccer Club
The NPSC currently has 21 teams playing this Spring/ Summer. That equates to over 100 centering opportunities and 150 AR opportunities. Assistant Referees (AR’s) earn $23-$27 per hour while center referees earn $33-$37 per hour.
Start Up Costs/ Time commitments
- $60 in Fees (Payable on the MNSRC website)
- Purchase of Referee Kit/ Uniform ($60)
- 16 hours of prep work (8 on-line & 8 classroom)
- 1-3 hours of set up time on MNRSRC website, Game Officials & contacting assignors and figuring out how the entire system works.
How to Get Assigned Games
- Assignors assign referees to matches. However, it is the responsibility of the referee to let their assignor(s) know that they are interested in refereeing for their club(s). Most assignors in our area use a website called Game Officials (gameofficials.net) for assigning matches. However, the NPSC will be using the MNSRC website for assigning matches in 2018.
- Treat players, coaches, parents and each other with respect
- Be professional both on and off the field
- Arrive 30 minutes early to begin pregame inspections of the field and players
- Wear the appropriate uniform, look professional
- Apply the rules of the game (you must blow your whistle!!!)
- Honor your assignments. Turn backs can cost you future assignments.
- Referees earn their matches. Assignors are not obligated to assign you matches.
- Communicate any and all issues to your assignor immediately following a game.
Becoming a Referee
All officials start a Grade 8 in Minnesota. Grade 8 allows a referee to center games up to the referee’s own age group and assist (AR) in youth matches regardless of age group.
- Step 1: Register with the Minnesota State Referee Committee (MNSRC)
- Create a user name and password at MinnesotaSRC.com
- Step 2: Pay your State Administrative & US Soccer Registration Fees
- 2018 Fees – State Fee $20 (non-refundable). US Soccer Fee - $40
- Step 3: Complete your on-line training
- 20+ video modules with quizzes after most
- 7-8 hours of on-line training
- Step 4: Sign-up and Attend a Clinic
- 8 additional hours of classroom training are required for Grade 8 referees
- Must complete all on-line training before signing up for a clinic (which are first come first serve at various locations throughout the state)
- Step 5: Pass the USSF Grade 8 Test
- 50 questions. Passing score is 40 out of 50 (80%)
- Retakes are permitted immediately if needed
- Step 6: Complete an MYSA Background Check (Adult Referees 18+ Only)
- Instructions/ link can be found on the MNSRC website
- Club officials, coaches and managers will already have one and just need to notify the MNSRC that one is available through the club.
- Step 7: Complete On-Line Concussion Certification
- Required to work any MYSA sanctioned game
- On-line training available through the CDC at cdc.gov
- Training is free and certificates are valid for 3 years
- Pay your annual registration fees (State - $20 + US Soccer $40)
- Complete your recertification requirements/ training
- Pass your recertification test with an 80% or higher
- Attend a clinic (if required)
- Complete your annual background check (MYSA requirement)
- Make sure your concussion certificate is still current
NPSC is required to follow all rules as outlined in the MYSA Policy and Rules Manual related to the assigning and contracting of referees and assistant referees. All referees must be assigned by a MNSRA certified assignor. Referees are independent contractors of the club and are not considered employees. It is the referee's responsibility to re-certify annually.
NEW Assigning System Now Open
Updated Jan 1, 2018
The new MNSRC assigning system is now open for registration. As referees, this year you will need to log into the MNSRC assigning system (Assignment on the referee menu) and register for New Prague Youth Soccer. At our pre-season meeting, your assignor will provide further instructions as to how to get games through the SRC system.
2018 New Prague Referee Pay
|Age Group: Boys & Girls||Center Referee||AR#1||AR#2|
|U9, U10||$ 25.00||$ -||$ -|
|U11, U12||$ 33.00||$23.00||$23.00|
|U13, U14||$ 39.00||$28.00||$28.00|
|U15, U16||$ 45.00||$34.00||$34.00|
|U17, U18||$ 60.00||$40.00||$40.00|
(Referee payment will be via EFT in 2018!)